Friday, January 23, 2009
Lemon Meringue Pie
A delicious Lemon meringue recipe, a hit every time.
4oz short crust pastry (i.e. made with 4oz flour, 2oz fat and pinch salt and water to mix)
Half pint water
1 large juicy lemon
2-3oz granulated sugar (~1/4 C)
2 level tbsp. cornflour
2 egg yolks
Half oz butter
3-4 oz caster sugar 2 egg whites
1. Line 8-inch pie plate with pastry - bake blind for 25 min at gas mark 7 or 425 degrees F
2. Meanwhile put the water lemon rind and granulated sugar into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
3. Mix the juice with the cornflour then strain the rind mix onto it. Bring back to the boil and cook for two minutes.
4. Beat in the yolks and the butter. Once butter has melted pout into the pastry case.
5. Make meringue by beating the egg whites until stiff - then beat in half the sugar.
6. Stir in almost all the rest of the sugar then pour over the lemon mixture making sure that you seal the edges.
7. Sprinkle with the remaining caster sugar and cook in a low oven (gas 2 or 300 degrees F) for 30 minutes or until browned.